University of California Hastings College of the Law
J.D. 2000; CALI Award for Negotiation; CALI Award for Mediation; Witkin Professional Responsibility Award, Hastings College of Law
U.C. Santa Cruz
California Bar, 2000
- Northern California Super Lawyers (2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2012, 2011, 2010)
- Certified Family Law Specialist (since 2007)
- Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services
- Chair of Civil Early Settlement Conference Program for the Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara (2013-2017)
- Chair of the Family Law Section of the San Mateo County Family Law Bar Association (2009-2010)
- Association of Family Law Specialists
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- San Mateo County Bar Association
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
Doug is an avid skier, musician and yoga practitioner.
Even after 20 years of specializing in divorce and family law, Doug still views each case as unique. He listens to his clients’ goals and focuses on their individual circumstances to guide them through a period of transition and sometimes crisis. He views the initial client meeting as an opportunity to ascertain if he and the client are a good fit, provide a preliminary overview of your legal rights and obligations and determine potential initial strategy as to how to achieve your goals.
In mediation, Doug seeks to help people avoid litigation and reach an intelligent mediated settlement, with or without counsel present. He is an advocate of meditation and processes that support people becoming less reactive and more in control of healthy responses and moving holistically toward their goals.
Doug became interested in family law while a student at the University of California Hastings College of the Law, and he continues to be motivated by the opportunity to help clients find artful and creative ways to reach resolution of their family law matters. He emphasizes close collaboration, empowering clients to take ownership during the process as they work toward achieving the best results.